We had a chance to sit down and tallk with one of the latest VHTS ninjas to get to know him more and see his perspective on life and bjj.
1. How long have you been training, and what was it about jiu-jitsu that made you fall in love with it?
I have been training BJJ for seven years. Since my first class I feel in love with Jiu-Jitsu, On my first class my first Instructor had me sparing. It was so much fun, I competed in my first tournament one week after my first class, I knew that I wanted to be involved with JiuJitsu for the rest of my life!
2. To you, what is jiu-jitsu?
Jiu-Jitsu is everything in my life. My friends, mentors, it is peace it is ,happiness, my job, new opportunities and much more things have come from being involved in BJJ. I feel the most calm and happy when i am on the mats.
3. What is the main reason and motivation for people is training, competing and falling in love with BJJ?
I can’t speak for everyones reasons for training and competing. I believe that Jiu-Jitsu offers everyone something special and unique for each person. Jiu-Jitsu has brought only positive things into my life and i'm sure that this is true for other people; that is why they stay with BJJ throughout their lives.
4. What are main benefits of BJJ?
BJJ benefits are numerous…. Health physical and mental, social and much much more!!!
5. What would you say to someone just started to train BJJ or someone who doesn't even know BJJ?
I think to try and explain Jiu-Jitsu to someone is not enough. To fall In love with BJJ you must experience it for yourself, and i'm sure that way they'll fall in love with the art.
6. BJJ role model or inspiration? Life role model or inspiration?
In BJJ and in life Marcelo Garcia is a great influence in my life. He is someone I have always looked up to and strive to fulfill his teachings, I am so thankful to have him in my life and for all the opportunities that he and his wife have given to me. My family has also been a great inspiration in my life. I know my family will always be there for me. Despite the difficulties in my life growing up, My Mother, Grandparents and Uncle made sure that I had a great childhood. They molded me into the man that I am today and for that I will be forever grateful.
7. Best supplement training for bjj? Yoga? Crossfit? Weightlifting? Judo/wrestling?
I just train Jiu-Jitsu as hard as I can. Everyone is different but, for me I think the best supplement to my BJJ training is wrestling.
8. What are your life goals, and BJJ goals?
My life goal is to continue to help my family the best I can. My BJJ goals are to win everything that I can, become a Black Belt World Champion and be an ADCC Champion.
9. Why did you choose VHTS as a sponsor?
I choose VHTS as a sponsor for a few reasons. Firstly, I really liked their products and believed that their gear was the top quality. Secondly,I liked how VHTS makes efforts help support the BJJ community in its growth worldwide. Finally, Gi Tak the owner of VHTS has become a friend of mine. He treats me and other VHTS athletes so well and continues to support us in our quest to achieve our goals.
10. What is next for Matheus?
For me I`m just going to continue on my journey to become a Black Belt World Champion and represent my team.
11. What would you like people to know about you?
I`m just a hardworking guy, focused on my goals from a small town in Formiga, MG, Brazil!!!!!
12. Anything else you'd like to say?
I would like to thank my family, my team, Marcelo and my sponsors VHTS, Hook Sweep, MGinaction.